Pirates News · Pirates outlast Mavericks in longest game in school history

Oceanside High football coach Dave Rodriguez called it an “instant classic,” and it certainly stands among the most compelling games in the illustrious history of John Simcox Field inside John Carroll Stadium.

The Pirates followed a script that seemed improbable, heartbreaking, gut-wrenching, and exhilarating to defeat La Costa Canyon, 19-13, in four overtimes Friday night in a key Avocado League match-up.

If you’re a fan of defense, then the Avocado League showdown between La Costa Canyon and Oceanside was the game for you. In the fourth overtime, yes, you read that correctly, Oceanside was able to come away with a 19-13 victory.

In the fourth overtime, running back Kavika Tua bounced outside, received a key block from Kameron Beachem, then finished his game-winning 25-yard run by smashing through an LCC defender at the goal line, sending his teammates and fans into a impromptu mosh pit just outside the south end zone.

With the game tied 6-6 at the end of regulation, the Mavericks stopped the Pirates on downs in the first overtime, but missed a 37-yard field  goal to win it.

In the second overtime, LCC running back Mitchell McCarthy scored from two yards out to give the Mavericks a 13-6 advantage. Oceanside responded with Harris hitting Beachem on a 32-yard passing to tie the score at 13-13.

Oceanside was stopped on downs in its possession in the third overtime; however, Trejan Apodaca intercepted a LCC pass and appeared to have a clear path for the game-winning score, only to have the play blown dead by the officials. National Federation of High School Rule 18.1-1 states that a play is concluded in overtime when the defense stops the offense or scores a touchdown or safety.

Then, in the fourth overtime Jaxon Moran intercepted a pass that may have been returned for a touchdown, which was blown dead again by the officials. Finally, Tua’s run clearly ended the bizarre set of circumstances in the overtime periods.

In the first quarter, Yovanni Ariaga’s field goal gave OHS an early 3-0 lead that was answered quickly when LCC’s Trevor Gonzalez had 37-yard touchdown run. The PAT was blocked leaving the score 6-3 until late in the fourth quarter.

Thanks to a couple of completions from Harris to receiver Rich Jaime, Ariaga was able to convert his second field goal with a little over two minutes remaining to tie the score at 6-6.

The Pirates had a chance to win the game on the last play of the game, but Ariaga’s 44-yard field goal attempt was blocked setting up a wild scrum that ended in a huge pile at the Pirates 40-yard line.

Oceanside, which stands in first place in the Avo with a 2-0 record and 3-1 overall, travels to Olympian on Friday. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.